Assessments at the national, state, local, and school levels are an integral part of the instructional cycle. Testing is critical to the instructional program at Freire because it allows us to collect valuable data necessary to track and support the academic progress of students within Freire Wilmington’s rigorous college-preparatory instructional program. Tests and assessments provide evidence of student learning and support teachers in identifying the next steps in their instruction. There are different types of assessments that your student will encounter during their journey throughout high school, including:
- Formative/ Diagnostic Assessments: assessments that are used during instruction and provide feedback to adjust future teaching and learning. Examples include diagnostic testing or beginning of unit quizzes that measure initial student performance.
- Summative Assessments: assessments that are given after material is taught (end of unit, course, or grade testing). They evaluate a students’ performance against a set of standards and usually occur in the spring or the end of the school year. Examples include Smarter Balanced assessments or the AP tests.
- Interim and Benchmark Assessments: assessments that fall between formative and summative assessments and are administered to evaluate a student’s knowledge and skills to inform ongoing learning. They are designed to alert teachers to student needs and inform decisions at the classroom or school level.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to our Co-Head of School, Academics, Mr. Paul Ramirez (302-407-4800, email@example.com) or Director of Academic Operations, Ms. Julia Li (302-407-4800, firstname.lastname@example.org) to learn more about testing or if you have any questions about assessment or instructional programming at Freire Wilmington.
Click here for grade-specific assessment information. This page will inform you of the name of the assessment your student will encounter, the subject matter to be assessed, the purpose and source of the requirement of the assessment, the duration of the assessment, and the date(s) in which the assessment will be delivered.
Please note that all fees and costs are covered by Freire or the state of Delaware for the assessments listed.
- State information on assessment (Del Excels)
- WIDA (World Class Instructional Design and Assessments) information for ACCESS