Updated May 5, 2020
- Guide: Getting Started with Your New Chromebook
- List of Locations for Free Student Meals During School Closures
- Student Reflection Form
Quarter 4 Distance Learning Information
Now that we have shipped Chromebooks to all students, we are excited to transition to distance learning using Google Classroom for Quarter 4 starting on May 4th and going through June 12th. Please click here to view Freire Wilmington’s Distance Learning Plan for Quarter 4, including detailed information on courses, grading, Google Classroom, and more.
After-School Programming is Back!
Check out our schedule below for links to join a virtual club or activity:
- Online Academic Centers – Mondays, 3:00-4:00 pm – Zoom Link
- Online Yoga with Ms. Brittaney – Tuesdays, 3:00-4:00 pm – Zoom Link
- Freire Art Club – Tuesdays, 3:00-5:00 pm – Zoom Link
- Board Games – Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:00-5:00 pm – Zoom Link
- Delaware Contemporary Art Club – Wednesdays, 3:00-4:30 pm – Zoom Link
- National Honor Society – Thursdays, 3:00-5:00 pm – Zoom Link
- Online Credit Recovery – Monday through Thursday, 3:00-5:00 pm – Zoom Link
I need help accessing Google Classroom or my Chromebook!
- Call the IT help desk at 215-346-7421. It is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM-4:00 PM.
- Email the IT help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dear Freire Family,
We wanted to provide an update on the current Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) outbreak. On March 13, Governor Carney declared a State of Emergency starting on March 13, 2020 and updated it on March 16, 18, 20, and 22. On March 22, the Governor ordered non-essential businesses to close at 8:00 AM on Tuesday, March 24.
As of today, the number of positive cases in Delaware and the surrounding areas is growing daily. You can find an active count of the reported cases in DE, as well as up-to-date information on how the Division of Public Health is responding to this health crisis here: https://coronavirus.delaware.gov/
Please check your email regularly for important updates and information from Freire Wilmington! If you are not currently signed up for Freire’s weekly newsletter emails, please click here to sign up.
Delaware schools are officially moving to distance learning for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year. Please see the information above for full details on Freire Wilmington’s distance learning plans for Quarter 4.
Free Student Meals
As of March 27, adult family members may now pick up meals for children who live in their home. The child no longer has to be present. Additionally, please check the meal availability schedule as many pick up sites are now only open certain days of the week. The Community Education Building will be open Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays 8:30 am to 1:00 pm and giving out two days of meals. A “to go” breakfast and lunch may be picked up in the lobby of the Community Education building, located at 1200 N French Street, from 8:30 AM to 1:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Many other locations are also available. Please click here for a full list of meal distribution sites.
We thank you for your commitment to our school and community and we will continue to work to ensure our students and families have what they need, even in the face of life’s many challenges. Be safe, be well, and if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out.
While your student(s) remains home, we encourage you to continue practicing good hygiene, which includes:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Get vaccinated for the flu is you have not already
- Don’t shake hands or high five – consider a friendly toe tap or elbow bump
If you feel for any reason your child may have or has been exposed to the novel coronavirus, please contact your doctor immediately. Virus symptoms can range from mild to severe and could include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Symptoms may appear in a few as two days or as long as 14 days after exposure.
We will remain in close contact with the State of Delaware and local public health officials throughout the duration of this closure and will provide updates to families as appropriate.
We understand this is a time of uncertainty and concern. We will work through this together to keep our students, families, and staff safe.
If you have health-related questions, please contact the Coronavirus hotline at 1-866-408-1899 OR your family physician. If you have questions about our school, please contact Mr. Paul. Thank you for your cooperation and support.
See below for more information about the virus and how you can prevent spreading illness:
What are the symptoms?
- Shortness of breath
How does it spread?
- The virus is thought to spread mainly from
- Between people who are in close contact with one another (within 6 feet)
- Via respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes
- These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possible be inhaled into the lungs
- Spread from contact with infected surfaces or objects
How can you help protect yourself and others?
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects (e.g. doorknobs, tables, light switches, cell phones, keyboards, etc.)
- If you are sick, stay home until your fever is gone for 24 hours
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds
- Cover your nose and mouth with tissue when you cough or sneeze – and wash your hands after
- Avoid putting fingers in your mouth, ears, or eyes
If you plan on traveling in the next few weeks, please refer to the CDC’s page on travel guidance and advice.
The Delaware Division of Public Health has opened a call center to take questions from the public, schools, medical providers, state agencies and community organizations. Hours of operation will be 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The call center number is 1-866-408-1899. Individuals can also submit email questions to DPHCall@delaware.gov
We remain hopeful that COVID-19 does not cause an emergency for the Freire Schools community. We will continue to monitor the recommendations from state and local authorities and will update you with any changes.
- CDC Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Webpage
- New York Times – Coronavirus Live Updates
- DE Division of Public Health Coronavirus Info
- DE Information for Schools Regarding COVID-19
- Freire Wilmington – DOE Remote Learning Plan
If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out.